MSA Orientation Camp – Second Chance Camp
The MSA Host Scheme program is an orientation program for Monash Students. Second Chance camp is a camp where all students, new and returning, can experience a Host Scheme Camp and meet new friends. Camp is heavily subsidised and includes transport, 2-nights dormitory accommodation, food, activities, and beach access. Check out the camp on YouTube, or for more information go to the Host Scheme website.
Community Safety Month
Every October, the City of Monash holds a Community Safety Month to remind us that we all have a role to play in keeping our community safe. There are lots of fun, interesting and practical safety events, workshops and community get-togethers for Monash residents to participate. For information about the activities on offer, visit the City of Monash website.
Final semester students – plan ahead before moving out
Ending a tenancy is not quite as simple as setting a date and moving out. You can save yourself headaches, time and money if you consult with staff at Monash Residential Services (MRS) and plan ahead. Here are some basic tips to consider:
- Provide adequate notice that you intend to vacate the property
- If you are leaving a share house, make sure your name is taken off the lease
- If a new person is moving in to replace you, the landlord should agree to replace your name with the new person’s name on the lease
- If renting an entire property, allow time to arrange a final inspection of the property with the landlord and complete the Bond Claim or Bond Transfer form
- Complete the ‘moving out’ section of your condition report and keep a copy for your records
- Do not sign a Bond Claim or Bond Transfer form if you do not agree with the landlord or agent’s claim
For more information, visit Tenants Union website. If a problem arises between you and your housemates, landlord or agent, contact MRS for advice.
Final semester students – staying in Australia for further study or work
If you decide to undertake further study or work in Australia, check whether your current visa allows this. Depending on your circumstances, here is a few visa options which can facilitate an extension of your stay in Australia:
- Student Visas
If you plan to continue tertiary study in Australia, you may be eligible for the Higher Education Sector Visa (subclass 573) or Postgraduate Research Sector Visa (subclass 574). Monash Connect can provide information and advice on extending/applying for student visa.
- Graduate Temporary Visa (subclass 485)
Depending on your qualification, this visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to four years to gain valuable work experience. This visa does not restrict the type or amount of work you can do but it is important to understand that finding a job is your responsibility. For details, check out the Visa Applicants tab on the Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) website.
- Skilled Migration
International students can submit an expression of interest for skilled visa. Points are available for studies in Australia, particularly where completing higher qualifications or studying in a regional area. Visit the SkillSelect website for more information.
- Company Sponsorship
If you have a job offer with an Australian company or employer, it may be possible for them to sponsor you for either temporary or permanent residence through the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186).
- Partner Migration
If you have an Australian spouse, partner or fiancée, it is possible for them to sponsor you for permanent residence. Your partner would need to be an Australian permanent resident, citizen or eligible New Zealand citizen.
Visit the DIBP website or the Migration Blog for further information. If you need assistance applying for a visa, consider using a registered migration agent.
Cultural festivals in Melbourne
Here is a list of cultural festivals you can join while taking time off from your studies:
- Taiwan Festival: Saturday 10 October, 10am – 5pm, Federation Square
- Malaysia Street Festival: Sunday 11 October, 9am – 4pm, Queen Victoria Market
- Latin Fiesta: Sunday 11 October, 11am – 6pm, Meyers Place
- Global Village Multicultural Festival: Saturday 24 October, 10am – 10pm, Princes Park, Carlton
- Carlton Italian Fiesta: Sunday 25 October, 11am, Piazza Italia, Lygon Street
International Student Engagement
If you have any feedback about the newsletter or suggestions of items to be included, please email email@example.com.