Monash University is shocked and saddened to learn of the tragic situation in Nepal following the earthquake last Saturday. Our thoughts are with those who have families and friends affected at this time. We encourage anyone who has been affected to seek assistance if required.
Student volunteers needed in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and Jakarta
We are calling for students to assist at our pre-departure briefing sessions overseas. You will get to meet commencing international students and share with them your experience studying at Monash and living in Australia. It is expected that volunteers are already at location as no travel expenses are provided. If you would like to volunteer, submit your expression of interest today via “Volunteering at Monash” (you’ll need to set up a profile first).
- Singapore – Thursday 18 June (evening)
- Kuala Lumpur – Saturday 20 June (afternoon)
- Jakarta – Sunday 21 June and/or Monday 22 June (afternoon)
Final semester student – What’s next?
The end of the semester is fast approaching, and decisions are important at this stage of your journey. You might be considering further studies in Australia or preparing to pack your belongings, move out of your accommodation and farewell some of your friends. There is a lot of useful information on the ‘Finishing university’ website to assist you with your preparation:
- Going home checklist – There may be a million things to do before you return home overseas. You can download a handy checklist to help you organise your time and remind you of some things that you may have forgotten.
- Explore employment opportunities in Australia or overseas – Career Education Consultants can assist you with career planning, becoming employable, as well as finding and applying for employment. You can drop in at Career Connect to speak with staff or attend a ‘Career Intensive’ program. This program is offered during university breaks. Career Connect has also put together a video to help you get prepared for a job in China.
If you are concerned about your safety while you are on or near campus, contact Monash Security for assistance. Security personnel can escort you to your car, student residences, and other locations on campus or to the campus perimeter 24 hours a day. There is also a security bus service at Clayton and Caulfield campuses, operating Monday to Friday from 5.30pm. (Read more)
There are Exambusters workshops this month where you can learn skills to improve your exam preparation and to stay focused during exams. Register via the booking system for a session at your campus. There is also a range of self-help resources which you can access online.
AFIS: committee recruitment
The Australian Federation of International Students (AFIS) is looking to recruit Assistant Treasurers, Promotions Officers, and Design Officers. Visit their website for details about the responsibilities of each position. To apply, email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “AFIS Committee Recruitment Application”:
- Phone number
- Your first and second preferences committee role
- Portfolio (Design Officer only)
- A short paragraph of your reason for joining AFIS
CISA Conference 2015
You are invited to attend the 5th CISA Conference in Melbourne on 6 – 8 July. The conference theme is “Celebrating Achievement, Together towards Tomorrow”. You will get to meet international students from other universities around Australia and explore ideas that will help improve campus experience for students. If you are interested in becoming a student leader, you should attend the conference. Check out their website for more information and to register.
Sports and Recreation Expo
Come along and connect with sports and recreation activities in Melbourne. There will be demonstrations, free trials and tickets to a huge range of different clubs and activities. Contact email@example.com or check out the Facebook Event page for more information.
When: Saturday 16 May, 12 – 4pm
Where: Drill Hall, 26 Thierry Street, Melbourne (behind the Multicultural Hub)