Clayton campus

Important information – May 2016

Thursday, May 5th, 2016

New students: Expect a call from the MonTRACK team in Weeks 10 or 11
Make sure your phone contact details are up to date on WES as we will be calling you with information and helpful hints on final assessments and exams. Our Student Success Advisors are also senior students and will be happy to have a chat with you and answer your questions. For more information, please click here

Did you arrive in Melbourne between 1 July 2015 and 30 March 2016?
The City of Melbourne provides a Welcome Desk service at Melbourne Airport for all newly arriving international students.  To further improve the program, we are seeking feedback from newly arrived international students about our service.

If you arrived at Melbourne Airport, between 1st July 2015 and 30 March 2016, please assist the City of Melbourne by responding to the linked survey.

Focus group
We are seeking 10 students for a focus group to learn more about your arrival at the airport. To be eligible you need to have arrived in Melbourne between 1st January and 30th March 2016. Participants will get refreshments and two Hoyts Cinema movie tickets.  Registration

When: Friday 13th. 12:00 noon
Where:  B220, Building B. Caulfield campus

Is this Your Final Semester?
The end of the semester will be here before you know it.  Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to plan ahead because there are many things to think about and important decisions to make.  You might be considering further study options in Australia.  You might wish to explore employment opportunities in Australia and apply for a post study working visa.  Perhaps you are preparing to pack your belongings, move out of your accommodation and prepare yourself emotionally to farewell some of your friends.

Whether you decide to return home overseas or stay in Australia, there is a lot of useful information  to assist you with your preparation.  You can also download a handy checklist to assist you with your plans.

New Carlton Location for The Couch
It is a safe and supportive space for international students in Melbourne to socialise and seek help when needed.  More information


Counselling Services
Monash offers a range of counselling services that are free and confidential. No issue is too big ot too small.
- You can make an appointment to see a counsellor from 9am – 5pm weekdays. Drop-in or call 9905 3020
- Contact a counsellor by email. You will get a reply within three working days.
- After hours phone counselling. call  1300 STUDENT (1300 788 336)

Volunteers needed
We are seeking expression of interest from  students who will be in Singapore or Malaysia and would like to volunteer at the Monash Pre-departure briefing.
You would be required to meet and greet new students and parents, assist with the registration desk,  share your Monash journey from a student perspective, and  answer questions from students and parents. This is a great opportunity to help support incoming students. Selected volunteers will receive a certificate of appreciation.

Singapore: Wednesday 15th June 2016, 7:30pm – 9:30pm
Malaysia: Saturday 18 June 2016, 1:00pm – 3:30pm

If you are available on the date listed above, please register your interest here. Please note, this is a volunteering opportunity and expenses will not be covered.

Counselling Services
Monash offers a range of counselling services that are free and confidential. No issue is too big or too small.

- Make an appointment to see a counsellor from 9-5 weekdays. Drop-in or call       9905 3020
- Contact a counsellor by email. You will get a reply within three working days
- After hours phone counselling. call  1300 STUDENT (1300 788 336)

CISA ConferenceCISA
CISA or the Council for International Students Australia is the leading peak body for international students in Australia. Their conference this year has the theme of “Breaking down barriers, facing the future together as one”.  It is a great opportunity to meet students from all around Australia, and share your experiences of studying in Australia, be inspired and see some of the Northern Territory. More details

When: 5 to 8th July
Where: Darwin

Monash Postgraduate Association Trips- (Postgraduate Students Only)

grampians Grampians
Weekend 28-29 May, 2016
Nature-lovers will savour the walking tracks, wildlife, lookouts and waterfalls in the breathtaking rugged landscape of the Grampians.
$150 Monash postgrads / $200 partner/friend Register here

Central Australia
uluru27 to  30 September, 2016
$1000 Monash postgrad /$1,100 partners
Book and pay by end of June. Register here

Lord Mayor’s Student Welcome LMSW2016 – In Photos
Were you at the Lord Mayor’s Student Welcome event? Find yourself in our LMSW2016 Photo Album

Important information – April 2016

Sunday, April 3rd, 2016

Welcome and orientation events
A special thank you to everyone who attended our welcome event on Friday March 4th. The event was a great success due to the efforts of our volunteers and everyone who got involved. Fun times were also had on the orientation events as students enjoyed the Moonlight sanctuary and Sorrento beach.

International students with families
Internationals student with families are invited to a social gathering and an informal information event to assist students with partners and/or children in Melbourne. You will have the chance to meet other international students with families. Speakers will be discussing health, overseas health insurance, English language support, community services, accommodation, and social opportunities. Children are welcome. Refreshments will be available. The event will conclude with information specifically for those with children. Speakers will be discussing: child care, schooling, etc.

When: Friday 15 April. 10am-12.45pm.
Where: Holman Hall, 27 Sports Walk, Clayton Campus.
Sign up to attend via the online registration form.

Free international student rides
The City of Melbourne will again fund a series of bike tours for international students. Now in its 5th year, the program has set the course for many international students by providing a warm welcome and knowledge base on how to navigate the streets of their new home – by bike!

The rides will take place on Saturdays from 10am to 12.30pm on the 9th, 16th, 23rd and 30th of April 2016.

Get in touch if you have a question or want to organise a group booking through the Squeaky Wheel website

With assignments due soon, don’t take short cuts by trying to pass off someone else’s ideas and work as your own.

If you are caught, and each year many students are, there is a good chance your work will be disallowed putting you at risk of failing the unit.

Not sure if you’ve plagiarised your work? Find out by speaking with Research and Learning Skills at the library and by visiting the library website.

You can also contact a Student Rights Officer on campus to find out what to do if you are asked to attend a meeting with your lecturer because of plagiarism.

Medical help options
Besides visiting a doctor, there are other medical assistance options available to you.

Home doctor service logo
You can have a doctor visit your home after hours. Weekdays from 4pm, Saturday from 10am, all day Sunday and public holidays. Visits are bulk billed.
Phone: 13 7425

Doctor by phone
Alliance Global Assistance (OSHC) now offers a service where you can speak to a doctor over the phone or by video call. It is bulk billed so there is no gap fee. It is available 24/7. Call 1800 854 344

Managing your reading
Feeling bamboozled by all the things you have to read? Learning Skills Adviser Tami Castillo has some suggestions that might help. Read more…


Security and Safety
A video compilation of safety and security tips from Monash is now available online here.

Are you ‘Rent Smart’?
The top 5 problems, do these relate to you?
• Getting your bond back
• Getting repairs done
• Notice to Vacate
• Breaking your lease
• Claiming Compensation

Online Resources:
Off campus accommodation website for all your tenancy rights and responsibilities
Rent-Smart for help living off campus

Get answers:
• Search
• Visit Monash Connect

Student Futures
Want to get a job in Australia and unsure what employers want? Employers have told us they’re looking for graduates who can articulate and provide examples of their career-ready skills, and how these skills can be applied in the workplace.

Student Futures is a new online platform that creates a real opportunity for international students to secure and build experiences and develop the kinds of skills potential employers want.

Student Futures allows you to:
• Find opportunities at Monash to develop the skills employers need
• Track and reflect on your progress
• Prepare for job applications and interviews

Stand out from the crowd, login to Student Futures at and start preparing for your future now!

Work rights consultations
Career Connect offers Monash students work rights consultations by appointment at both Clayton and Caulfield campuses. If you have concerns about your employment conditions, please make an appointment for a private discussion with our employment consultant.

To book an appointment, please log in to Career Gateway and select Work Rights Consultations in the Appointments menu. You can also read more about your work rights on the Career Connect website.

‘We are all Champions’
By Karekhaa Nair

Embracing university life can be a quite a challenge. It’s like an obstacle course; some experiences can be easy, whereas others can get you entangled. The Monash Mental Health Champions project was developed to help you feel like a champion at university.

So who are we exactly?
We are a diverse group of students just like you working together in creating a safe space for students to deal with challenges in the most creative and fun environment possible.

We are the bridge between the resources we are creating and the programs readily available at Monash University. So, keep a lookout on some of the amazing events that is about to happen this year!

P.S. If you’re feeling stressed out or even in need of a relaxing meditation, click here to find out some of the great services available at Monash University.

Study Melbourne Student Centre
Located in the city near Southern Cross Station, international students are welcomed to use the Study Melbourne Student Centre for access to a range of free support, information and welfare services. International student groups are welcome to hold meetings and events at the centre. More information is available at the centre’s website.

Community leadership program seeking applications
The Opening Doors Program is currently seeking community members from the City of Monash who are passionate about their local area, and would like to make a difference in the lives of people who may be socially isolated.

The 2016 Program will run for 6 months with a graduation ceremony to be held in December. Over the course of the program, you will meet and work with a passionate group of like-minded people, learn about your own talents as a community member and leader, and develop the skills to make a real and lasting difference in your local community.

The program is provided free and is open to people of all ages, cultures, backgrounds and abilities.

Places in the 2016 Program are limited, so if you would like to apply, find out more, or know someone who may be interested, please don’t hesitate to contact Program Coordinator, Alex Mills on 8822 8327 or at

Insider Guide
Check out the Insider Guides blog on Melbourne for more useful hints on Melbourne food, transport, music, sport and other cultural events.