Faculty of Education – Professional Placements

Matthew Dang,  “I had a taste of the real world in South Africa, developed life skills and gained a life-changing teaching experience”  “I travelled to South Africa to complete my final teaching practicum in a private and a public school. It was a taste of both worlds - the rich and the poor. What an eye opener!   “This practicum was an amazing experience. It helped me become more open-minded and more accepting of diverse cultures and different ways of life. I believe I am a better teacher in the classroom because of it.”

Matthew Dang: “I had a taste of the real world in South Africa, developed life skills and gained a life-changing teaching experience” “I travelled to South Africa to complete my final teaching practicum in a private and a public school. It was a taste of both worlds - the rich and the poor. What an eye opener! “This practicum was an amazing experience. It helped me become more open-minded and more accepting of diverse cultures and different ways of life. I believe I am a better teacher in the classroom because of it.”

Learn through real-life experience

Professional placements are an essential part of the Faculty of Education’s suite of teaching degrees, both at the undergraduate and postgraduate level. We understand that aspiring educators need more than just great guidance. That’s why we give students the chance to gain practical experience during their course, by completing professional experience in Australia and overseas.

We provide teaching placements in a range of metropolitan, regional, remote and overseas locations including the Cook Islands, Malaysia and South Africa. In January 2014, a group of 12 education students completed professional experience in Prato, Italy.

The Faculty of Education has a dedicated professional placements office that liaises with a range of preschools, kindergartens and schools and organise all professional placements for students. The number of placement days varies depending on the program and year level. Undergraduate education students will complete a minimum of 80 days of professional placements throughout their course. Master of Teaching students will complete a minimum of 60 days of professional placements throughout their course.

More information

For further detail on the range of teaching courses offered at the Faculty of Education, please refer to www.monash.edu/education

We are still accepting applications into our range of undergraduate and postgraduate teacher education courses for Semester 1, 2014 intake.

Contact:
Seshna Maharaj
Manager, Marketing and Communications
Faculty of Education
Email: seshna.maharaj@monash.edu
Tel: +61 3 9905 9753