Browse the Timeout newsletter for information on what’s new in Wellbeing at Monash. Read about the latest Wellbeing and Monash Sport events, services and activities.
For information about latest events, special offers, discounts, and news, subscribe to the newsletter by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
In the January edition:
- Wellbeing events and news
- Monash Sport news and offers
- TeamMONASH news
- Employee benefits and discounts
Wellbeing Events and News
Want to make a difference to your health in 2015? Why not get the year off to a good start by getting a few of your colleagues together and registering for one of the many wellbeing activities availabe.
Join a fitness class like boxing, pilates, yoga or zumba or register for a mindfulness or mental health program. There’s so many to choose from.
With 30, 45, or 60 minute fitness classes priced from just $8.50, 9.50 or 10.50 per person, why not organise a fitness class at a time and venue that suits you and your department by emailing email@example.com. Remember though, to check with your faculty first to see if they have already arranged a program for your area!
Some general fitness programs have already been scheduled and are open to staff from all areas:
- SWAP ID 122015:Clayton 8 week Pilates program 09-02-2015
- SWAP ID 132015: Clayton 8 Week Boxing Program 10-02-2015
- SWAP ID 142015: Clayton 8 week Yoga/Pilates/Tai Chi Mix program 10-02-2015
- SWAP ID 152015: Clayton 8 Week Morning Boxing Program 11-02-2015
- SWAP ID 162015: Clayton 7 Week Yoga/Pilates/Tai Chi Mix Program 13-02-2015
- SWAP ID 172015: Clayton 7 Week Zumba Program 13-02-2015
Click here for further information.
To support the health and wellbeing of its staff, students, and visitors, Monash is continuing its move towards a healthier campus environment with smoking only permitted at designated smoking points.
In 2014, Monash along with other Victorian universities adopted the smoke-free initiative as part of a statewide commitment to healthier campuses. Evidence clearly shows that smoke-free environments increase the rate of quitting and reduce the number of people taking up smoking.
To support staff and students in their transition to a healthier lifestyle, Monash is actively assisting those who wish to quit or reduce smoking through a range of services provided through University Health Service,and Counselling. Staff can also attend fully funded QUIT programs at their campus by simply registering their interest. A program has been scheduled at Caulfield campus to commence in February. To register for this program, please click here
Information on these programs and the smoke-free initiative is available at http://www.monash.edu.au/ohs/wellbeing/smoke-free/
The final phase of the smoke-free initiative will be implemented with a smoke-free Monash from January 2016.
If you could find out anything about your health, what would it be?
We are working hard to fill the gaps in the health care needs of women. Take our short survey and have your say on the topics where you would like more health information.
The survey will be open until 11 February 2015. http://svy.mk/14qXDwv
Here’s some simple ways to get fit and healthy and stay in shape this year!
- Set up a daily routine and enjoy a regular walk either at home or work
- Form a walking group with your friends – its a great way of keeping fit and staying in touch!
- Get rid of all those Christmas treats
- Join a social sports activity like tennis, basketball or netball and play regularly
- Grab your family and friends, pack a picnic and the cricket set and pop down to one
of the many picturesque parks and gardens around Melbourne and Victoria
- When catching up with family and friends, why not arrange fun activities like going for a walk, hike or swimming?
- Have some quick and easy light salads for dinner rather than a heavy meal
- Get your colleagues together and commit to a healthier lunch break by eating healthy and going for a brisk walk.
For a range of activities to keep you moving, click here.
Why not bake your favourite cake, brew a pot of tea and host an ‘Afternoon Teal’ party to raise funds for a great cause! February is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month, aimed at raising awareness of the symptoms, risks and impacts of ovarian cancer. Your ‘Afternoon Teal’ party will be one of many aimed at raising $500,000 to support work in ovarian cancer awareness, advocacy and research. To register and plan your ‘Afternoon Teal’ click here.
At Monash we encourage staff to make the healthy choice when providing food for staff meetings and events. Why not try a delicious box of fruit at your next meeting and event or replace the existing biscuits in your staff room, with fruit. All new customers will enjoy 50% off their first month’s fruit delivery!
With free delivery to Monash campuses and 10% discount off the following prices, this is a great healthy alternative.
- Box of 30 fruit pieces $28
- Box of 45 fruit pieces $38
- Box of 60 fruit pieces $48
- Box of 90 fruit pieces $68
To order contact Steve at FruitAddicts or phone 1300 438 378 and quote ‘Monash Wellbeing’. Payment can be made via cheque, credit card or monthly invoicing.
Weight Watchers is once again being offered on campus during 2015. Staff who enrol will have the convenience of weekly on-campus meetings, to help them achieve their weight loss and lifestyle goals.
The program will consist of weekly lunchtime meetings over a 13 week period. To register your interest, please click here.
How do you travel to uni? Do you take the bus or the train? Perhaps you bike or walk.
Whatever the case, your choice of transport could make a real difference to your health.
According to a recent Melbourne study, your health is affected not just by how you commute, but from where.
People who used public transport, or drove to the station or bus, they got about half an hour a day incidental exercise, whilst people who walked to the station or the bus, train, or tram, got about 41 minutes a day. Walkers and cyclists, averaged about 38 minutes a day.
So next time your thinking about hopping in your car to get to work, why not walk, ride or take public transport and commute your way to a healthier lifestyle!
For the full story, click here.
Mindfulness for wellbeing, resilience and performance
Register to take part in a 3.5 hour Mindfulness Workshop through. The workshop will explore:
- the science, principles and practice of mindfulness
- its applications in areas including wellbeing, mental health, and resilience
- its role in leadership development
- the capacity of mindfulness to enhance information processing, decision making and performance.
Supervisors are encouraged to take part in this 3.5 hour program which in addition to the above 4 points, also looks at what you can do as supervisors, to assist in the embedding of the mindfulness practice.
The mindfulness program for supervisors is available online.
Up to one in 10 Australian women will experience depression during pregnancy. This increases to one in seven in the year following birth. Anxiety is thought to be even more common. We can all play a vital role in supporting expecting and new parents.
Other programs available include:
The Fresh Start program is a supported program that helps to boost confidence to quit smoking, as well as provides resources, strategies and information to participants about quitting smoking and how to stay quit! Programs have already been held across Clayton and Caulfield Campuses with further sessions to be offered.
To assist those smokers who wish to kick the habit a 4 week program consisting of two sessions per week, will be held at the Caulfield Campus on 9,12,16,19,23,26 February and 2,12 March between 12-1pm.
To register for the program, please click here.
Monash Sport news and offers
To celebrate the 2015 Australian Open, when you purchase a 12 hour pass, Monash Sport will serve you three hours for free!
On sale for a limited time only at Clayton.
Tennis, badminton, squash and table tennis only. Head over to the Clayton Service Desk to purchase your pass today.
Exercise Tip – Summer Exercise
Exercise in hot weather can often be a daunting task. Overexerting yourself in the heat can lead to heat stress, heat stroke or other complications.
However, just because the hot weather is finally upon us, doesn’t mean it’s time to stop exercising regularly. In the hot weather, it’s important to exercise smart, not less.
Below are six handy tips to help you get the most out of your summer workout.
Exercise smarter – avoid working out during the hottest parts of the day, preferably exercising when the sun’s heat is minimal – early in the morning or in the evening. Always keep in mind other fitness options – visiting our indoor fitness centre, or going for a cool dip in the Doug Ellis Swimming Pool.
Hydration – drinking water during a workout in summer is vital to keep you going. Drink plenty of fluids before, during and after physical activity. Avoid alcohol and caffeinated beverages as they will de-hydrate you.
Know your limits – know the signs of danger and know your own limits. If you’re feeling the effects of the heat while working out, stop, seek refuge in the shade and rehydrate.
Find a friend – If you are able to, team up with a friend of family member. You’ll be safer if one of you does experience heat stroke, plus it is more fun and having another person will add extra motivation.
Ease into the weather – let your body adjust to working out in hotter weather. If a day is hotter than what you’re used to working out in, start off slow and build back up to your regular workout.
Dress to impress – wear lightweight clothing with breathable fabrics. Avoid dark coloured clothing; instead opt for something white or similarly light-coloured. Hats are always a good idea to keep the sun off your head. Always remember to wear sunscreen if you’re heading outside.
Semester 1 Group Fitness Timetable – coming soon!
The Semester 1 Group Fitness Timetable is starting 23 February
With all your old favorites as well as brand new classes, there is something for everyone on the new timetable. Enjoy the all-new Energise, Core and Abs and Zumba Gold. Keep an eye out around the centre and on our website for the new timetable.
Group Fitness classes at all campuses are included in all Fitness and Fitness + Aquatic memberships. Not a member? Join today! Monash University Staff get a discounted rate.
Semester 1 Social Sport Registrations Now Open
Social Sport registrations are now open at all campuses! Social Sport is a great way for Monash University Staff to stay fit, active and healthy at work.
We offer the following competitions:
- Women’s and Mixed Netball
- Indoor Soccer
- Open and Mixed Basketball
- and Quickfire Sports!
Click here to see the scheduled timetable for semester 1, 2015. Competitions begin the week of March 9 with the season running for approximately 12 game weeks including finals finishing no later than June 4. There is no competition during the mid-semester break 6 to 10 April. Please note Monday competitions will play on Labour Day March 9.
For more information, please read our FAQ’s.
Places fill up quickly, register your team on our website today!
Help Monash Sport Member Sarah Lim Make a Difference
It’s not every day that a university student decides to shave all their hair off, but for Monash University student and Monash Sport member, Sarah Lim, the choice to participate in the World’s Greatest Shave wasn’t difficult.
“My hair can always grow back, but people’s lives, once they are gone, can never be revived.”
Sarah will be shaving her head bald with on Tuesday 17 March at the Monash Medical Centre.
Sarah is a 4th year medical student studying a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery at Monash University. Spending time at hospitals, as part of her degree, has put her into contact with cancer sufferers.
Donate to Sarah’s cause here.
Support Royal Children’s Hospital
Since it began in 2005, Run for the Kids has attracted more than 160,000 participants and raised more than $4.7 million for the Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal. Participants can select to compete in either the 5.4km run (Short Course) or the 15.5km run (Long Course). This is the third year running that TeamMONASH has supported this event.
When: Sunday 22 March, 2015
Where: Alexandra Avenue
Registration fees: $48 for short course, $53 for long course
Options: 5.4km, 15.5km
See our website for more information.
Volunteer with TeamMONASH
Volunteering is a rich and rewarding experience for Monash University Staff.
As Monash University staff, you are entitled to two paid days per year for approved volunteering. You can step away from the desk and develop your personal and professional skills without compromising your work commitment.
What you gain from volunteering with TeamMONASH:
- Make a difference to your university
- Being an ambassador for with TeamMONASH
- Receive additional training
- Entitled two days special paid leave per annum
Am I eligible?
- If you are fixed-term and continuing staff at Monash University’s Australian campuses
- The work is undertaken Monday to Friday during business hours
- The work is not for more than two working days per annum
- The activity is not considered high-risk and is recognised as beneficial to the community
- The organisation offering the position is not-for-profit*
Monash staff have access to a great range of employee benefits and discounts including accommodation, travel, travel insurance, airport parking and car hire and plenty more. Read more information in the range of employee benefits and staff discounts
Join Medibank and get one month free !
Medibank has a great offer for Monash Health: Join Corporate hospitals & extras before 28 Feb to receive ONE MONTH FREE.
Your Medibank consultant is coming to visit the Berwick and Peninsula campuses on 9th February, and the Clayton and Caulfield campuses on 16th February. Click here to book your consultation now!
Monash University has partnered with Medibank to create a special corporate arrangement on health cover for you. For more information, click here.
Plus $8.50 Visits to major gyms nationwide!
Introducing GymBetter – as a Corporate hospitals & extras member, you have access any participating Fitness First, Anytime Fitness or GoodLife health club for only $8.50 per gym visit nationwide. With no contracts and no joining fees, a Medibank Corporate membership will be the only gym membership you’ll need, Simply visit the Apple App store (for iPhone) or gymbetter.com.au (for Android Smartphones).
Join BUPA and enjoy the benefits
Get Bupa hospital and extras cover by 28 February and choose one of three gifts as a thank you. See the current offer here.
Bupa provides staff access to the Monash Corporate Health Insurance Plan, with:
- A suite of health cover options not available to the general public
- Competitive premiums
- No GAP optical packages
- No GAP physio and dental for kids
- Switching from another fund is easy
- A single room or your money back # conditions apply
- Your premiums paid through direct debit/credit card*
For pricing and detailed information:
Visit the BUPA Corporate webpage:
- Username: monashuni
- Password: healthplan
Join the Travel club
Travel Club is a private leisure club which gives you access to amazing holiday deals and discounts to destinations all over the world. Backed by the global Flight Centre Travel Group, Travel Club offers Monash University staff access to the best deals together with a dedicated, highly experienced consultant.As a member of Travel Club you will have access to specially negotiated holidays, products and services tailor-made for you.
And, as a bonus, all Monash University staff who register will receive a $50 gift voucher upfront, and one every year after that, to put toward their next holiday*. With Travel Club’s “Price Promise” you can be sure you’re getting the very best price, Travel club will beat any available quote you find*, that’s how committed they are to ensuring you have the best value experience every time you travel.
So register today and start planning your next trip. *Terms and Conditions apply.
Virgin Airlines Discount
Virgin Airlines is offering all Monash staff a 10% discount on domestic travel booked before the 31st March 2015. For more information go to Corporate Leisure Offer
Up to 50% off Peppers and Mantra Resorts
Staff have access to the exclusive Departure Lounge with discounted rates at selected Peppers, Mantra and BreakFree properties throughout Australia, Bali and New Zealand.
To book visit Departure Lounge and enter the password: monashstaff Rates are best when searching for 3 night+ stays.
For this month’s specials see here.
As a Monash employee you can now access a range of banking and financial benefits including competitive rates on home lending and other NAB financial products, discounted movie tickets, computers, travel, shopping and much more from a range of top brands.
- Preferential rate of 0.7% p.a. less than the standard variable home loan rate for both owner-occupied and residential investment home loans. For higher loan amounts, additional benefits may be negotiated.
- First year annual fee waiver for NAB Choice Package under NAB@work (saving $395).
- Home lending: 50% discount on the standard application fee for home loans (saving of $300).
- Term deposits: Receive a 0.25% p.a. bonus on the standard rates or 0.10% p.a. bonus on the blackboard special rate. This offer is available for deposit amounts of $5,000 – $250,000 for terms of 6-24 months, for online applications through NAB@work.
- Dining: Special offers on a wide range of restaurants around Australia including local eateries and premium restaurants.
- Shopping: Special offers on an extensive array of quality brands, products and services through telephone based and online service providers.
For more information about the NAB@work program visit the Monash employee benefits and discounts webpage
10% off Rydges, Art Series and QT Hotels & Resorts
Enter the Monash Corporate ID at 40 Rydges, Art Series and QT Hotels & Resorts in Australia, New Zealand and the UK and receive:
- 10% off all your accommodation bookings
- Best rates online guaranteed
To start saving:
- Visit any of the hotel websites and select your preferred location and stay dates
- Enter the Monash Corporate ID: PC102298 in the text box and save 10% off the best rates
Travelling soon? Discounted Virgin and Qantas lounge access
Sign up for a discounted airport lounge membership for Qantas and Virgin and enjoy the benefits!
Qantas Club memberships offer heavily discounted rates that can be salary sacrificed; pricing: $316 (one year) or $560.89 (two years) plus $230.00 joining fee.
Virgin Australia lounge corporate memberships offer a special price of $200 per year with a $100 joining fee.
Visit Airport Lounge discounts for more information.
Other discounts available to staff
- Andrew’s Airport Parking – 20% discount for staff, 15% for family
- Avis car hire – reduced excess and 3rd day of weekend rentals free
- Aussie Farmers Direct – first order discount
- BUPA Optical – 20% off sunglasses and lenses
- BMW & Mini Corporate Program – complimentary scheduled servicing for 4 years / 60,000km, use of a BMW during scheduled servicing, corporate pricing, reduced dealer delivery charges
- Convenient Kitchen home delivery meals
- Lite n’ Easy – 7 day meal pack discount
- Magazine subscriptions – 10% off
- Monash Commuter Club, 10% discount on Myki
- Travel insurance – special rates for staff