Browse the Timeout newsletter for information on what’s new in Wellbeing at Monash. Read about the latest Wellbeing, Monash Sport and Team Monash events, services and activities. For information about latest events, special offers, discounts, and news, subscribe to the newsletter by emailing email@example.com
In the November edition:
- Wellbeing events and news
- Monash Sport news and offers
- TeamMONASH news
- Employee benefits and discounts
There are only two weeks left in the 10,000 steps challenge so keep logging into these steps to be in the race. Are you struggling to get motivated? In the week of 11th of November try out one of these classes. To attend a class please report to the service desk at Monash Sport to collect a ticket.
Monash Sport Clayton
Monash Sport Caulfield
- Monday 6pm Running Group (1hr)
- Wednesday 12pm Walking Group (45mins)
- Thursday 1.10pm Abs (30mins)
- Friday 12.10pm Cycle (45mins)
Monash Sport Peninsula
- Monday 12.10pm Body Balance (45mins)
- Tuesday 1.10pm Cycle (30mins)
- Thursday 1pm Walking Group (30mins)
- Thursday 6.30pm Zumba (55mins)
- Friday 12.10pm Barre (45mins)
We all know our real age, but how many of us know how old we are on the inside? We’ve teamed up with BUPA to provide Monash staff and students access to an online Health Assessment Tool to tell us just that. If you took the assessment last year, why not see how your health might have improved this year?
The online survey takes about 10 minutes to complete and looks at all areas of your personal health – from diet and exercise, to stress and lifestyle factors.
Once completed, you’ll get your own personalised report outlining your health age (as opposed to your chronological age), and some handy tips to improve your overall health and wellbeing to reduce your health age. The information collected is confidential and can be reviewed at any time. So take the time to find out your health age now!
For some ideas about how to start improving your health age, why not:
- Sweat it out in a group fitness class at your campus
- Improve your zen at a Monash Mindfulness Course
Visit the wellbeing website, for a full range of wellbeing programs and initiatives.
If you’re a hayfever sufferer, you probably already know that grass pollen season officially kicked off on October 1 and will continue to late December.
In late 2016, Melbourne experienced a unique combination of high grass pollen levels alongside certain type of thunderstorm weather phenomena in which heavy thunderstorms caused pollen to burst into smaller particles which were easily inhaled and caused asthma symptoms – wheezing, coughing, chest tightness and shortness of breath. Thousands of Melburnians were affected, even some who had never experienced asthma or asthma-type symptoms in the past. This was the largest epidemic of thunderstorm asthma in the world and many people required medical support.
Those who carry an increased risk of asthma triggered by a thunderstorm include people with:
- asthma or a history of asthma
- undiagnosed asthma
- seasonal allergic rhinitis (hayfever) particularly to grass pollens, with or without asthma
People with hayfever have the highest risk of asthma flare-up triggered by thunderstorms.
Even though not all thunderstorms trigger thunderstorm asthma and thunderstorm asthma events are rare, it’s important to know how to prepare and manage care for ourselves and those around us. So, what can you do?
- Brush up on your asthma first aid management skills and knowledge
- Seek advice from your GP if you wheeze during spring or if you experience hayfever, especially if you have or suspect you have an allergy to ryegrass pollen
- Request an updated asthma action plan from your treating doctor
- Follow the Three Day Servicing Forecast
- If you have bad hayfever, try to avoid being outside on high pollen count days, particularly on windy days and during thunderstorms
- A Plan: Encourage colleagues with asthma to provide their personal asthma action plan to their area First Aiders
- Treatment: Remember the 4 Steps of Asthma First Aid
- Give 4 puffs of reliever medication with a spacer and wait 4 minutes
- If there is no improvement, give 4 more puffs
- If there is still no improvement, dial Triple Zero (000) for an ambulance
- Keep giving 4 puffs every 4 minutes until emergency assistance arrives
More information is available here.
- Consume functional beverages (vitamin / protein drinks, herbal teas, kombucha, keffir)
- Aged 21 to 30 years
- Have lived in Australia for at least two years
- Are an influencer amongst your own friendship group and on trend in terms of new food and drink products
- Have good communication skills and are willing to answer questions in front of a group of people
Monash Sport News, Events and Offers
Being recognised by Fitness Australia (the fitness industry’s governing body) shows the commitment by our Clayton Fitness Centre to providing high-class facilities, services and programs.
Click here to read about our success in gaining Fitness Australia accreditation.
Congrats to Yii Ying who is heading to China to compete at the Kingsburg International Piano Competition. Did you know that Yii Ying is double jointed, which helps her play piano #unfair. Read about her story here.
Employee benefits and discounts
Monash staff have access to a great range of employee benefits and discounts including accommodation, travel, travel insurance, airport parking and car hire and plenty more. Read more information in the range of employee benefits and staff discounts
By special invitation only, Monash staff can now enjoy entry to the Nike company store. The store stocks allocations of the latest and best seasonal products Nike has to offer. The invitation is valid for one visit only and is non-transferable.
Monash University staff members and one guest (Children under 18 years unlimited), will be granted entry together on a one-time only visit throughout the month of November only. Staff members and their guest will be able to purchase at 40% off the entire Nike product range. NOTE: Staff will need to take their Monash ID and will be checked and marked off at the store reception and then given a pass to enter. All other visitors will require their own separate pass.
Max spend limit is $1,500 per adult guest after discount. We kindly ask you refrain from wearing competitor brands in store.
Nike Company Store – 134 Buckhurst Street, South Melbourne, Vic. Store Hours: Sunday to Friday 10am to 4pm. Saturdays 9am-5pm
Mandela My Life: The Official Exhibition at Melbourne Museum.
We would like to offer Monash University a 2-for-1 ticket offer to the Mandela My life: The official Exhibition at Melbourne Museum. Discover his story and learn about Nelson Mandelas role in dismantling arpathied and championing democracy and human rights. Both the Sunday Age and The Australian both have reviewed the the exhibition with some great recommendations.
Here is the link to the official page: https://www.mandelamylifeexhibition.com/
To purchase tickets at the discounted price please click here
As part of HSBC’s Corporate Employee Program, you can now exclusively save with our latest home loan offer.
• No up-front fees – $0 Establishment Fee (a saving of $600), $0 Settlement Fee and $0 Valuation Fee (saving up to $225).
• Your own Personal Relationship Manager will guide you through the entire process whether you’re buying or refinancing.
• Unlimited free extra repayments
• Flexibility to redraw additional payments for free online
Available on new borrowings from $50,000 when applying by 31 December 2018.
Rate not available to non residents.
As a member of HSBC’s Corporate Employee Program you can also benefit from a range of other fixed and variable rate home loans, on-going services and special product offers.
To find out more:
Call: 1300 134 825
We wanted to share the good news that Monash University has teamed up with Westpac to bring you Workplace Banking. You can now receive exclusive discounts on new home loans, credit cards, everyday bank accounts and much more. Simply visit the Westpac Workplace Banking website and enter MONASH18 for details of all the benefits that are available.