October 2017

International Students Work Rights
The Fairwork Ombudsman (FWO) has released an open letter to international students about your rights at work. If you are still having some work problems and need some legal advice, you can make an appointment with a lawyer at the Study Melbourne Centre on Thursdays (until 7th December). Email info@studymelbourne.vic.gov.au or call 1800 056 449.

Community Safety MonthCommunity Safety Month
Every October, the City of Monash holds a Community Safety Month to remind us that we all have a role to play in keeping our community safe. There are lots of fun, interesting and practical safety events, workshops and community get-togethers for Monash residents to participate. For information about the activities on offer, visit the City of Monash website.

Free hard waste rubbish collection for students living in the City of Monash
The City of Monash is offering free waste collection for current International students living in the City of Monash from 20 November to 15 December. Prior to doing this, the council would like to collect information from current students about their understanding of hard rubbish and previous behaviours when disposing of hard waste.  To take advantage of this free waste collection offer, you must book  your rubbish collection online and nominate the week you want your waste collected on the form. Once you have booked, you will receive a sticker for your hard rubbish pile and an information brochure will be sent to you in the mail. Before the Sunday night of your collection week, place your hard waste out on the nature strip for collection. For more information, check out this offer on facebook or read about annual hard waste collection online. To speak to someone about this offer, contact Council’s waste services on 9518 3774 or email anna.mezzetti@monash.vic.gov.au.

2018 re-enrolment
Re-enrolment for 2018 begins on 9 October. Re-enrol via the Web Enrolment System (WES) before the 30 November. Failure to re-enrol before the deadline may result in a fine. (Read more)

Special Consideration for exams
If you’re unable to complete an assessment or exam, for reasons out of your control,  don’t panic – you can apply for another chance through Special Consideration. Contact a  Student Rights Officer on campus for advice when applying.

Advice and tips from the Library
Exams are just around the corner! Sign up to a Exam prep class run by the library at your campus.

Tax Help
If you still need help submitting your taxes, make an appointment with a tax help volunteer who can help you complete your taxes online using myTax. Lodge your tax return by the 31 October deadline to avoid penalties. You can also obtain Tax help from the Study Melbourne Student Centre on tuesday afternoons and wednesday mornings until the 31st October.



Become a student leader for Monash Non-Residential Colleges
Are you looking for a fun way to get social, get connected and increase your experience as a student at Monash?  The Non-Residential Colleges at Clayton, Caulfield and Peninsula provide a supportive social and fun environment with peer support for all students living off campus. We are currently recruiting students who are finishing up their first year as an undergraduate or first semester as a postgraduate to join our 2018 team of student leaders. Not ready for a leadership role yet but still interested to become involved? Why not consider joining as a College Member in 2018? For more information about membership or applying to become a College Advisor, check out the Non-Residential Colleges website.

International Students: Become CEO of Your Own Career
Learn how to develop your creativity, entrepreneurship and build your networking skills. This event will be delivered in collaboration with English Connect. Guest speakers will share their  tips on how to use your skills and passions to develop meaningful careers. Students and their partners are welcome to attend. Register online. Email Valentina.Mickovski@monash.edu for more information.

When: Thursday 12 October, 5.30pm – 7.30pm
Where: Monash College, Level 7, Plenary Room, 271 Collins Street, Melbourne
Dress code: Business attire

Volunteering opportunities for International Students
Study Melbourne has partnered with Volunteering Victoria to offer volunteering opportunities for international students across Victoria. Volunteering is a great way to gain employability skills, make friends and support your community. Only 200 places are available so contact Sophie Anselmi (s.anselmi@volunteeringvictoria.org.au) for more information.

iUSEpass Student Focus Group
Study Melbourne and Public Transport Victoria are undertaking a review of the iUSEpass program which allows international students to purchase an annual Myki at 50% discount. They are looking for 6 students to who are willing to discuss their experience with iUSEpass and how it can be improved. You do not have to have purchased an iUSEpass to participate, but you do need to be aware of the program. Email studymelbourne@ecodev.vic.gov.au if you are interested and include your nationality and institution that you are studying at. Selected students will be notified by email and receive a $50 coles myer voucher.

When: Thursday 19 October, 9am-12pm
Where: Public Transport Victoria, Level 10, 750 Collins Street, Docklands

Bus Safety Campaign – Focus Group
Monash Buildings and Property division is looking for 20 international students to share their thoughts about a new bus safety campaign at Monash. You’ll get shown a few images of the safety campaign and will be asked a few questions on what you think. The session should take about 5 minutes  and will be conducted at the Clayton campus (Building 56, 30 Research Way). To thank you for your time you will be offered a snack voucher to use at selected vending machines at Clayton campus. For more information and to register your interest please email bpd-communications@monash.edu and provide your full name, student ID number, contact phone number and country you are from.

Learn Lead Thrive
Communication is one of the most important skills employers want from graduates. Peer camp is offering a new program exclusively for international students to help push you outside your comfort zone into a place where you can grow into a powerful communicator and leader. Register for one of these communication stream workshops in October.

7 October – Kathleen Syme Library Carlton
14th October – Monash Generator Clayton Campus
21st October – Melbourne Polytechnic, Preston Campus

FREE International Student Theatre – She’ll be right 
Don’t miss out on this powerful hour of storytelling about real life experiences from students from Brazil, China, Columbia, Iraq, Indonesia, Pakistan, Vietnam and Australia. This theatre performance has been written by International students and is a free performance presented from Study Melbourne, City of Melbourne, RMIT University and Australian Federation of International Students. This performance will transport you through cultural stereotypes, passions and dreams and the sacrifices made as students find a new voice in Melbourne and redefine who they are. Find out more and book tickets

Friday 27 October, 7 – 8.30pm
Saturday 28 October, 2.30pm

New Summer Unit – ATS2910 Professional and academic presentation skills
Are you interested in improving your confidence when presenting in front of an audience? This intensive 6 point unit is being taught 4 hours a day for 2 weeks in January. It is open to all students and is structured in streams to accommodate different levels of language confidence. Learn from professional staff who are experts in the fields of public speaking and vocal work and improve your stage presence and delivery.

Explore Melbourne’s Laneways
Explore Melbourne’s Laneways through Wayfinder Live. Its a location based augmented reality scavenger hunt game. This game is only available to play in Melbourne’s International Games week (22-29 October). Find out how to play here.

Global Climate Change Week
Get involved in Climate Action Week and share your ideas on how to maintain a sustainable future for Australia. Check out the activities happening on campus this week including Ride 2 Uni day and a Movie night.

When: 7-15 October


What’s On in Melbourne

Diwali at Federation Square – Saturday 14 October 11am -10pm
Diwali Lights at Light House – 18 – 24 October, 6pm – midnight
Melbourne Festival – 4-22 October
Carlton Italian Festa – 22 October
South East Asia 50th Jubilee Celebration – 28 October
Tesselaar Tulip Festival – Until 10 October
Summer touch football at Princes Park – 4 – 11 October, 6.30pm – 8pm
Free Street Art Mentoring – 6 -7 October, 11am -4pm
The World Kitchen in Acland Street St Kilda – 7 October
Indian Street Food Festival – 20-22 October
Melbourne International Games Week – 22-29 October
Hooked on Gambling: By Choice or by Design – 11 October, 6pm – 7.30pm
Stand Up Comedy Prize Fight – 21 September -19 October, 8pm – 10pm
Bollywood Dance – 20 October, 1-2pm
Board Games Day – 26 October, 2-5pm
The Village Festival in Edinburgh Gardens – 27 – 29 October, 6-8pm
Spring Vegan Festival – 28 October
Arts Centre Market – Every Sunday, 10-4pm


Tips for Final Semester Students

The end of the semester will be here before you know it.  Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to plan ahead because there are many things to think about and important decisions to make.  Whether you decide to return home overseas or stay in Australia, there is a lot of useful information  to assist you with your preparation.  You can also download a handy checklist to assist you with your plans.

Plan ahead before moving out
Ending a tenancy is not quite as simple as setting a date and moving out. You can save yourself headaches, time and money if you consult with staff at Monash Residential Services (MRS) and plan ahead. Here are some basic tips to consider:

  • Provide adequate notice (preferably in writing) that you intend to vacate the property.
  • If you need to break your lease before the end of your contract, check your contract. If it is a fixed term contract, you’ll be liable for paying the remainder of the lease unless you find someone to replace you.
  • If you are leaving a share house, make sure your name is taken off the lease.
  • If a new person is moving in to replace you, the landlord should agree to replace your name with the new person’s name on the lease.
  • If renting an entire property, allow time to arrange a final inspection of the property with the landlord and complete the Bond Claim or Bond Transfer form.
  • Complete the ‘moving out’ section of your condition report and keep a copy for your records.
  • Do not sign a Bond Claim or Bond Transfer form if you do not agree with the landlord or agent’s claim.

For more information, visit Tenants Union website. If a problem arises between you and your housemates, landlord or agent, contact MRS for advice.

Staying in Australia for further study or work
If you decide to undertake further study or work in Australia, check whether your current visa allows this. Depending on your circumstances, here is a few visa options which can facilitate an extension of your stay in Australia:

  • Student Visas
    If you plan to continue tertiary study in Australia, you will still need to extend your visa. Monash Connect can provide information and advice on extending/applying for student visa.
  • Graduate Temporary Visa (subclass 485)
    Depending on your qualification, this visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to four years to gain valuable work experience. This visa does not restrict the type or amount of work you can do but it is important to understand that finding a job is your responsibility. For details, check out the Visa Applicants tab on the Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) website.
  • Skilled Migration
    International students can submit an expression of interest for skilled visa. Points are available for studies in Australia, particularly where completing higher qualifications or studying in a regional area. Visit the SkillSelect website for more information.
  • Company Sponsorship
    If you have a job offer with an Australian company or employer, it may be possible for them to sponsor you for either temporary or permanent residence through the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186).
  • Partner Migration
    If you have an Australian spouse, partner or fiancée, it is possible for them to sponsor you for permanent residence. Your partner would need to be an Australian permanent resident, citizen or eligible New Zealand citizen.

Visit the DIBP website or the Migration Blog for further information. If you need assistance applying for a visa, consider using a registered migration agent.

Comments are closed.