General Notices

1. Better Teaching, Better Learning: Student Projects

This is an opportunity for you to improve the student experience at Monash!

The Better Teaching, Better Learning team (out of the Office of the Vice-Provost (Learning and Teaching) (OVPLT)) is seeking to fund student ideas to improve the “student academic experience”. They are providing 20 bursaries of up to $2,000 each (maximum of 2 per Faculty) to students / teams of students.

Examples of projects that may be funded include:

• setting up a study group or a mentoring scheme;
  • creating an online learning resource; and
  • organising and running a student-led conference.

The money may be used for such things as the purchase of training or services, travel, materials, and administrative support costs. As you can see, the scope is broad.

Each proposal is expected to provide evidence for how the project will bring added benefit beyond the current student academic experience. The focus is on nurturing bright ideas that might lead to the dissemination of value-adding programs across the University.

The deadline for applications is Friday 5 September 2014.

Full details, including the guidelines and application form, are available on the website

For assistance with conceptual development please contact:

Mr Lloyd England (Student Experience Manager)

Lloyd.England@monash.edu or Phone: 9905 3385

For drafting assistance (including budget development) please contact:

Mr Matt Randall (Manager Education Services)

Matt.Randall@monash.edu or Phone: 9905 8412

2. Diversity and Inclusion Week 2014

Connecting with Social Justice

Diversity and Inclusion Week provides an opportunity for Monash to engage staff, students and visitors and celebrate its commitment to social justice.

With the theme of Connecting with Social Justice, the program includes  workshops, seminars, screenings and interactive activities.

Events are open to both staff and students.

For more information about events that are taking place on your campus and to register your attendance at the website

Diversity and Inclusion Week will run from Monday 25 until Friday 29 August, 2014

3. Germany Seminar Opportunity

Encounter Europe – Visit Germany
A DAAD Seminar for Students from Australia and New Zealand at the European Academy Otzenhausen

Applications close Monday 1 September 2014.

For further information and application process please see the flyer.

4. My Aurora Experience – Native Title Services Victoria

For six weeks during early 2014, I had the opportunity to undertake an Aurora internship via the Aurora Native Title Internship Program, at Native Title Services Victoria (“NTSV”). NTSV is the legal service that represents Victorian native title claimants. I made NTSV my first preference because I wanted to see if I would enjoy working in a legal environment specialising in native title law.  Although I quickly realised that native title law was (unsurprisingly) much more complicated than I had thought from my two weeks of studying it in property law, I discovered that native title and Indigenous rights are fascinating areas of the law.

Aurora warned me to go in with an open mind and to expect a variety of work – from filing to legal research. While I did undertake some administrative tasks at NSTV, the majority of my internship was spent working with the legal team. I was asked to do a variety of tasks, from writing a research brief to be used in an upcoming negotiation, to looking through the minutes of almost twenty years of meetings to work out when a claimant group decided to reduce their claim boundaries. I also attended a directions hearing at the Federal Court. The constantly changing nature of the work meant that my 6 week internship flew by.  NTSV made a genuine effort to provide me with interesting work and succeeded.

The highlight of my internship was attending two different native title group meetings on country. These meetings gave me a valuable insight into how the native title process impacts upon traditional owners. It was also an opportunity to develop my understanding of the significance of the land to Aboriginal people. Hearing the stories and history of the group at these meetings is something I will never forget.  If anyone undertaking an internship has the chance to go on country, I strongly recommend it.

Choosing to do this internship through Aurora was one of the best choices I could have made. I learned a variety of practical legal skills and enhanced my knowledge of native title law and the issues relating to Indigenous rights. I also had the chance to work with some amazing, dedicated and passionate people at NTSV.  I highly recommend applying for the Aurora Internship Program; it will be an unforgettable experience.

Applications for the summer 2014/2015 round will be open from Monday 4 August until Friday 29 of August, 2014. For further details and how to apply, please visit the website.

5. Oaktree Roadtrip

This September, you have an unprecedented opportunity to make change on a global scale.

As world leaders come together in Brisbane this year for the G20 summit, we’re hitting the road to ensure that they take action to end extreme poverty; and we want you to join us.

From Sunday 28 September to Saturday 4 October, join a thousand young people on the End Poverty Roadtrip. We’ll journey across the country to transform the way that Australians think about the issue. We’ll meet our leaders to ensure that they commit to upholding the standards of fairness and justice for the world’s poor.

Because now, more than ever, as the international spotlight falls on Australia, we need to ensure that our leaders have the conviction to create real change.

Sign up for the Roadtrip today, to make sure that our generation is the one to end extreme poverty.

While extreme poverty has been halved over the last twenty years, we know it’s been a tough few months. Australia’s aid budget has been axed, with $7.6 billion dollars slashed over the course of five years. Cut after cut, progress has been stifled.

But we have the power to transform this reality.

It starts with the Roadtrip and it starts with you.

Get on board today at the website.

6. S1 SETU Survey Reports

The University conducts a SETU (Student Evaluation of Teaching and Units) survey for each of our Units each Semester and then produces a Unit Evaluation Statistical Report just search by the Unit Code e.g. LAW1234.  The report shows how each Unit performed on the 5 key questions e.g. covering feedback, learning resources and overall satisfaction.

The report collates the written comments from students on these 2 questions:

• What were the best aspects of the unit?
  • What aspects of the unit are most in need of improvement?

This Report has been sent to each Chief Examiners to help them improve the Unit for the next time that it is offered.

Thank you for your participation in these SETU surveys – we really do appreciate your feedback as it helps us to keep on continually improving our Units.

7. Vice-Chancellor’s Professorial Fellows Speaker Series

There is an opportunity for students to attend the Vice-Chancellor’s Professorial Fellows Speaker Series which will take place from Wednesday 6 until Wednesday 27 August.

For further information and registration please see the website